Friday, May 13, 2011

Fish And Tofu Curry


Like most of us, sometimes I have this strongest craving for a hearty curry dish. And I believe that I'm probably not the only person on the planet that often get intimidated by all the spices and other ingredients that are needed for a curry dish. So here unblushingly I admit that store-bought curry paste used to be (and probably occasionally in the future still gonna be) my best friend. However after Max consistently reminding me the cardamom seeds and cans of coconut milk he bought 2 months ago and have been sitting in the pantry since, I know it's time for me to embrace my fear and make a curry dish from scratch. Since I am on a mission of eating healthy, I opted for a relatively lighter and healthier fish and tofu curry instead of my favorite butter chicken.

FISH AND TOFU CURRY
(Adapted from Jamie Oliver's Southern Crab Curry from "Cook With Jamie")
Olive Oil
3tsp fennel seeds
2 heaped tsp mustard seeds
9-10 cardamom seeds (or 5 green cardamom pods, crushed and husks removed)
1tsp cumin seeds
A thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely sliced
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
1 medium white onion, peeled and sliced
2-3 fresh red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
2 heaped tsp turmeric
1 1/2 Tbp butter
200 grams firm tofu, cut into 1"x 1" cubes
1 x 12oz can coconut milk (1 can! I made a mistake of pouring 2 cans into my curry and it took forever to boiled down all the liquid)
Juice of 2 lemons
500g sole fillets
A good bunch of fresh cilantro, leaves picked
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

(see what I said before about the long lists of ingredients)
  1. Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large pan and add the fennel seeds, mustard seeds, cardamom seeds, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, onion and chilli. Fry on a medium heat for 4 -5 minutes until lightly golden, then add the turmeric, butter and tofu.
  2. After one minute, pour in the coconut milk and  a can of water. Simmer for 5 minutes. Then add the lemon juice and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until the sauce resembles heavy cream in consistency.
  3. Add the fish and half the coriander, simmer for 6 more minutes and taste. Season with salt and pepper and a little more lemon juice if needed. Sprinkled with the rest of the coriander leaves and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment